It's a new year... a time for new starts... I'm actually not one for New Years Resolutions because I NEVER seem to be able to keep them, so this year, I'll just call it a renewed effort! Check back to see how I'm doing with my efforts!
2014 has ushered in quite a few changes... The most noticeable was my reassignment at work. I've returned "home"... back to dispatching full-time. Although I absolutely loved my old job, it was time for a change. I've been wanting to return to full-time employment for some time and when this position unexpectedly became available, it just felt right to take it. It's still close to home and although it seems like an oxymoron, shift-work works for me. It allows me to be a mom while working full-time. I am able to participate in the boys school life, be home to cook dinners during the week and best of all, have no crowds at the mall! (joking... sort of!) Great partners have made the transition painless and support from my hubby keeps things sailing smoothly at home.
Jason is heading into his 3rd year at his job... Although he works in Orange County, he is able to van-pool so he has an even shorter commute than I do! We both went from very long commutes to much shorter ones! Just one of the perks! Paid vacation, sick and time off, retirement and job security round out the benefits making it quite the attractive position.
Another transition in our life is the boys starting public school this year. (Okay, technically last year, but this "school" year!) Their school is less than a mile from the house and has before and afterschool care for our unpredictable schedules! Both boys have made friends at the new school but continue to stay in contact with their friends from their old school. It was a really hard decision to make as the boys have been there since they were both infants...but it was a good change and fortunately a smooth transition.
Fall brought another round of soccer for both boys... Ryan was picked to be on the same team as he was on last year. The coach, assistant coach and their wives have become friends of ours and although my schedule presented some challenges in getting to practice, another team mom graciously stepped in to help out. (Just another one of the benefits of living in a small community... you always run into someone to help you out!) Austin was also able to play with several teammates from last year. His team, the Black Hawks, advanced to the playoffs and although they played hard and only lost one of their games, weren't able to advance. Austin played defense most of the season, but you should've seen the explosion both on and off the field when he finally made his first goal! Everyone on the sidelines were cheering and we were lucky enough that one of the moms got it videoed on her iPad (right before she threw it in the air in her excitement!)!!
The holidays were busy, as usual, for us. Because of my work schedule, I was not able to go to Arizona with the boys this year. Jason took the boys and got to spend a few days visiting with his family. The boys always enjoy all of the open land and hanging out with Grandma, Grandpa and all the cousins. Although the calendar said that Christmas was almost a month after Thanksgiving, it sure seemed like it came a lot quicker. All my plans for finishing my shopping early and having a stress-free holiday went the way of mice & men. I think this was the first year that I, not Jason, was finishing shopping the day before! Fortunately, though, one of our friends, my Christmas Angel, offered to watch the boys so I could shop in "peace"... That didn't, however, preclude me from staying up until almost 3 am wrapping presents & cleaning house! Ahhhhhhh.... tired mamma! There's always next year, right?? We celebrated Christmas Eve with my parents and then Christmas Day with our friends, The Collins. The highlight of our Christmas was our adoption of a beagle puppy named Buddy. The boys have been asking for a dog for a while now and so, needless to say, they were ecstatic when we told him that we were going to keep the dog they thought we were only fostering. Seeing the joy in their eyes makes all the hard work worth it... Christmas magic at it's finest. We closed out the year with a family dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory and a visit to the Mission Inn. Brought back such fond memories of celebrating my grandma's last birthday there with all of the family. Seemed like a fitting way to close out 2013.
As we "ease" our way into 2014, it is with a peace that I haven't felt in a while. I can't wait to see what this year brings and hopefully, I'll keep up with my plan to share those memories with you!
No comments:
Post a Comment